Engagement & Wellbeing: Tips for Staying Active While Working From Home
Our physical health has a significant impact on our overall wellbeing. When we feel good physically, our outlook on life tends to be more positive, our food choices are healthier, our sleep habits improve, and our immune system is stronger. One of the best ways to enhance our physical wellbeing is through exercise and movement.
People generally think of gyms, exercise classes and fitness groups as places you visit in person, but, when you are short on time or restricted from travelling, there are many ways to be active at home. Virtual exercise programs have grown significantly over the last decade, making staying physically fit possible, regardless of location, time, weather, and even equipment.
The following is a list of free resources for staying active at home. Before starting any fitness program or routine, make sure you discuss any medical concerns with your doctor.
Follow a Virtual Leader
Many gyms and studios have virtual and streaming options to support their members. Check your current gym/studio website and social media pages for potential capabilities. Some fitness facilities, like Planet Fitness, offer streaming for everyone, regardless of the member status.
YouTube features numerous virtual fitness programs, including:
- Yoga with Adriene: With over 6 million subscribers, Adriene’s work speaks for itself. Search classes by length or topic, or check out the collection of yoga practices assembled for uncertain times. For something more structured, there are 30-day yoga journeys for building physical and emotional wellbeing.
- Blogilates: Host Cassey Ho leads a wide variety of short, upbeat and colorful Pilates-inspired workouts from HITT to Pilates Principals ranging from 3-minute workouts to 30-day challenges.
- HASfit: Whether you have five minutes for a leg workout or forty minutes for a full body session, these programs focus on High Intensity Interval Training and Resistance Training. Each workout features two trainers to show modifications for all fitness levels. Search by muscle group or workout length and enjoy the feel of a personal trainer session.
- Fitness Blender: Find every length and type of workout on Fitness Blender, led by a husband and wife duo, these workouts have a straight-to-the point approach, set on a white backdrop without a lot of extra commentary.
- Tone It Up: Enjoy Karena and Katrina’s personal and approachable style of fitness and meditation. With a wide variety of workouts in various settings (both indoor and outdoor), you’re bound to find a feel-good video that suits your needs.
Use your Phone
Several prominent fitness apps and mobile fitness solutions offer free training and/or free trials, including: Peloton, Grokker, Nike Training Club, Adidas Training, Carrot Fit, Down Dog, Obé, Barre3, Dance Body, Daily Burn, Sweat, The Bar Method, and Tone It Up—just to name a handful. Check out C25k if you’re looking for an easy way to start building stamina while exploring the neighborhood.
Take it Outside
Biking, running, hiking, and walking are all excellent ways to soak in the benefits of nature while getting some activity. Bring along your children and dogs to make it a family affair.
Overall, thanks to innovation in the online fitness community, the great outdoors, and an openness to trying something new, making physical activity part of your day can be no sweat. Enjoy your workout!