Top Ten Insurance Claim Tips (article)
When you and your insurance company are on the same page, missteps are avoided and payments can be made more quickly. Below are 10 tips to help you repair your damage after a disaster, settle your insurance claim and get back in business in a timely manner.
- Take videos or photos of the damage. Memories fade – video & photos will help document what the actual conditions were.
- Don’t guess when talking to your insurance company. You are the only source of information they have and they will take you literally. If you don’t absolutely know – don’t guess.
- Report damage to your insurance company. Treat your insurance company as your partner and keep them informed.
- Keep a diary. Sometimes the chronological order of events becomes important and it is hard to reconstruct after the fact.
- Include your insurance company in your recovery. If you let your insurance company help plan the recovery as it happens, they will be less likely to second guess you after it is done.
- Get legal advice for coverage questions. If an adjuster or accountant tells you that something is not covered, just to be sure, get a second opinion from your attorney.
- Keep your receipts. Receipts and documentation are essential to proving the amount of your loss.
- Describe why each purchase is needed when you make it. A record will make it easier to explain to the adjuster when he asks, a month later, why you needed to spend the money.
- Separate claim payments and expenses from businesses. Accounting for payments from the insurance company will be as important as documenting and reconciling expenses.
- Consider professional claim preparation help. Many insurance policies will pay for you to hire accounting help. This help makes it easier for you to focus on getting back in business.
Download the PDF here:
Top Ten Insurance Claim Tips