Superior Guidance for Not-for-Profit and Educational Institutions Looking to Thrive
Not-for-profit and educational organizations are facing pressure from all sides: reduced government spending, increased regulation and growing competition for funding. Your success hinges on the ability to identify innovative and effective ways to better manage operations and respond quickly to changing environments.
CBIZ Tofias and Mayer Hoffman McCann P.C. - Tofias New England Division are committed to the professional services needs of not-for-profits and educational institutions. We focus on accounting and auditing,* tax planning and compliance, internal controls and business practices, and governance. Our clients include educational institutions, cultural organizations, museums, business and civic associations, religious organizations, human services organizations, medical research groups, and private foundations.
We provide our clients with high-quality and timely work delivered through the dedication of our not-for-profit professionals who utilize best practices within their areas of expertise. Our Not-For-Profit & Education Practice team members have a desire to work in this sector and are provided with the support needed to deliver premium, quality work, including ongoing training and development specific to the needs of the not-for-profit and education sectors.
Mayer Hoffman McCann P.C. - Tofias New England Division is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants' Governmental Audit Quality Center (GAQC). The primary purpose of the Center is to promote the importance of quality governmental audits. This voluntary membership enables Mayer Hoffman McCann to incorporate best practices and high-quality standards for our audits performed under Government Auditing Standards and OMB Circular A-133.
Our dedicated team of accounting and tax specialists provides the following services:
- Financial statement audits
- Audits under OMB A-133
- Yellow book audits
- Employee benefit plan audits, including 403(b) plan audits
- HUD audits
- SAS 70/SSAE 16 Attestations
- Debt offerings
- Form 990, 990-T and PC preparation
- Form 5500 preparation
- Organizational structure and design review and recommendations
- UBIT consultation
- Assistance with UFR filings
- ERISA consulting
- Value-added consulting related to accounting developments, financial reporting and display practices, intermediate sanctions related to compensation matters, and government contracting and indirect cost matters
- Assessment of internal control and business practices
- Construction cost reviews
- Forensic, litigation and valuation services
Take a look at some of our successes:
- We helped a wholesale distributor enter a new market without jeopardizing the not-for-profit's 501(c)(3) status. We advised the organization on business practices and governance matters related to creating a for-profit subsidiary, a strategy that increased the organization's revenue and maintained its tax not-for-profit status.
- We helped a client with significant government contracts build appropriate practices to maximize the legitimate recovery of indirect costs on its government contracts.
- We helped a client identify underperforming third-party trustee assets and facilitated higher future distributions.
- We helped a client restructure their financial statements to improve financial transparency and better conform to their Board reporting package.
- We helped a client locate over $2,000,000 in assets to which they had rights.
- We helped a client develop enhanced methods for monitoring and reviewing their endowment accounting methods.
*Audit and other attest services provided by Mayer Hoffman McCann P.C. - Tofias New England Division, an independent CPA firm.
Connect with Us: